Templar Pulsar Solotank
Race: Altmer (High Elf)
Main Role: Tank
Health, Magicka, Stamina
Weapon 1: Destruction Staff
Undaunted SkillInner Rage
Destruction Staff SkillElemental Blockade
Undaunted SkillBone Surge
Templar SkillVampire's Bane
Mages Guild SkillStructured Entropy
Psijic Order SkillTemporal Guard
|Light Armor||Medium Armor||Heavy Armor|
Gear and Item Set Info
WARNING: see general info before reading this.
The build capitalizes heavily on shields, so your primary sets are Iceheart and Brands of Imperium.
1. Iceheart heavy + medium, sturdy or divines, health enchant.
8600 (+cp) shield, procs every 6 seconds thanks to our high crit chance and blazing spear.
2. Brands of Imperium jewelry, frost staff mainbar, sword and shield backbar.
Up to 12040 (+cp) shield for you and allies close by every 15 seconds. Jewelry enchants are up to you. Weapons could go for standard infused weakening/crusher, but infused + hardening on frost staff is definitely an option, gives you a total of 7000 worth of shield after a heavy attack.
Spelldamage on jewelry and nirnhorned weapons are a decent option if you want to use this in solo in addition to 4-man content.
3. Fortified brass 5p light for remaining armor pieces, sturdy or divines, health enchant.
Choosing light gives you good enough sustain all by itself and 10% spellcrit, and then fortified brass is the obvious choice to help with lacking resistances. I end up sitting at 56,4% spellcrit, which keeps Iceheart on by cd. Also, you'll be doing more than enough damage for comfortable solo play.
The build is not meant to perma-block, but you can do it with sturdy, glyphs and potions by swapping bars and letting the other resource regen, as you can block both with magicka and stamina.
You know how your templar healer can become a magicka dps by simply swapping out gear and abilities? Well, could he also become a tank?
The main idea behind a build is to allow your templar dps/healer to tank 4-man content, including vets (easy vets remain easy, hard vets are harder than on a classical tank but doable), without respeccing anything. Hence all attribute points in magicka, thief mundus assumed, so you end up with rather low hp (got 33k only thanks to double-slotted structured entropy).
Obviously, the build you get is not an optimised tank, don't bring it into trials.
What you do, given lowish hp and no overpowered self-healing (i'm looking at ya, unstable clannfear!) is rely heavily on shields:
1. 8600 Iceheart shield is up by cd every 6 seconds thanks to high spellcrit and Blazing spear/Frost barricade/Vampire's bane dots.
2. 12040 Brands of imperium shield (also for your group) pops on cd every 15 seconds from being hit.
Both of these will keep popping when you're channeling Deep thoughts, and Major protection from the channel does affect shields.
3. 10000+ (more when fighting packs) Radiant ward. A bit expensive, but you can afford it.
4. 10000 Bone surge. Stamina shield option, plus if your allies actually pop the synergy (never count on it) the whole group may get a tough shield.
5. Up to 7000 shield from frost staff heavy attack plus infused hardening, available pretty much on each attack for free (plus some restored magicka).
Temporal guard frontbar and Deep thoughts backbar give you Minor protection at all times. Being a vampire is higly recommended, other than that Deep thoughts and Channeled focus take care of sustain. Common magicka potions are also useful to have. Magicka+health food to get all the health you can, Witchmother's brew otherwise.
Champion Point Tips
Bastion helps, yet going along with Alcast recommendations for a dps or healing build is good enough.