Frost Warden Staff Tank!
Race: Altmer (High Elf)
Main Role: Tank
Health, Magicka, Stamina
|40000 (with food, unbuffed)||18000||1250|
Weapon 1: Destruction Staff
Warden SkillPolar Wind
Destruction Staff SkillElemental Blockade
Warden SkillWinters Revenge
Warden SkillLeeching Vines
Warden SkillShimmering Shield
|Light Armor||Medium Armor||Heavy Armor|
Gear and Item Set Info
Using 5 heavy and 2 light is more valuable for increase in magicka and spell resistance than any bonus given from 1 light and 1 medium. This is due to it being a full magicka build.
The Battalion Defender set can easily be replaced with e.g. Cyrodiil's Crest for more self-healing or Syrabane to gain more magicka recovery.
Jewellery enchantments can be replaced with health recovery as well, but I don't find healing to be an issue.
For soloing purposes, one can replace a lot of the sets to grant more magical damage and healing to go faster, but the build presented here is intended for group content.
Traits and Enchantments
Head - Blood Spawn (Infused, Magicka Enchantment)
Shoulder - Blood Spawn (Sturdy, Health Enchantment)
Chest - Grave Guardian (Infused, Magicka Enchantment)
Legs - Grave Guardian (Sturdy, Health Enchantment)
Waist - Grave Guardian (Sturdy, Health Enchantment)
Hands - Grave Guardian (Sturdy, Health Enchantment)
Feet - Grave Guardian (Sturdy, Health Enchantment)
Necklace - Battalion Defender (Healthy, Spell Damage Enchantment)
Ring - Battalion Defender (Healthy, Spell Damage Enchantment)
Ring - Battalion Defender (Healthy, Spell Damage Enchantment)
Weapon One - Ice Staff of the Battalion Defender (Life Drain or Crushing Enchantment)
Weapon Two - Ice Staff of the Battalion Defender (Life Drain or Crushing Enchantment)
This is a fun build that aims to go full magicka tank, utilizing the frost staffs ability to taunt fo 15s and turning block cost into magicka. This is a different and fun way of tanking and it works really well. It is heavily focused on survival and protecting the team.
How you distribute your enchantments, mundus stone and attribute points isn't as essential as reaching around 40k health and 25% spell and physical resistance unbuffed. Recovery stats aren't as important as ressource management happens through skill use and heavy attacks.
- Great Survivability.
- Protects the team for 9555 Physical and Spell resistance (while buffed and blocking).
- Protects the team with 30% damage reduction while using ultimate.
- Continuous healing for the team.
- Rapid ultimate generation.
- Easy ressource management.
- Decent damage for a tank-focused build.
- Sometimes you end up blocking less due to taking aggro with heavy attacks.
- Frost staff heavy attack taunts are slow and takes practise to manage.
- Low Stamina for Break Free.
Skills and Skill Rotation
- Run around with your second skill bar ready, once running into battle, use Blue Betty, followed by ice fortress and Lotus Blossom. Doing them in that order, lets you know that they need to be reused once your blue betty disappears. These skills increases your magicka recovery, spell critical which helps your AoE and defence. Lotus Blossom is great for ice staff tanking as you use many heavy attacks to taunt, which then heals for 4700.
- Using Leeching vines after shifting to main weapon is useful, but can be used after arctic blast (further down).
- Elemental Drain helps you and your team manage resources. If the healer uses it, it can be replaced.
- Inner Rage is nice to keep at hand if you need to get aggro on something swiftly.
- When going into a fight, rush into the middle of as many mobs as possible and use Gripping Shards, immobilizing (3s) and slowing as many as possible. The Glacial Presence passive gives this skill a 200% chance to apply chilled to these mobs. Follow up with Blockade of Frost, aiming it to hit as many as possible. Chilled enemies (from gripping shards) hit by blockade of frost are immobilized for another 4 seconds. Quickly use Arctic blast to increase self-healing and suddenly you have AoE damage from three sources.
- Use leeching vines to apply life steal to all the mobs hitting you. This can suddenly add a lot of healing.
- Shimmering shield is useful to keep up if ranged mobs are shooting at you. Along with the Blood Spawn set you can gain ultimate quite fast. Especially because you can reapply shimmering shield immediately. It also negates the ranged damage.
- Permafrost adds even more AoE and crowd control. It can be used differently, sometimes it's nice to use it immediately, if you're running into an already packed up group. Due to its large radius, you can often reach ranged mobs as well, stunning them for a while and taking their aggro. More often you'll want to pop it once you've gathered up a whole bunch of mobs, rendering them even more useless.
- Use heavy attacks to taunt ranged mobs and regain magicka.
- Due to so many mobs being immobilized, you can also move away from the main bulk of them, if you don't have any close ranged group members, they can't do anything.
- Orzorga's Red Frothgar (+ 5000 health, + 457 Magicka Recovery).
- Essence of Spell Critical (Major Prophecy, major fortitude, major intellect, restore 9373 health, restore 7582 magicka) - Made from: Lorkhan's tears + Bugloss + Lady's Smock + Water Hyacinth.
- The Lord (Flat Health)
Champion Point Tips
- Tenacity - 55 (You heavy attack a lot, so an increase in the resources given back is nice.)
- Arcanist - 60 (Magicka Regen is always nice)
- Healthy - 55 (Health Regen is always nice!)
- Shadow Ward - 100 (Lowers the cost of blocking more! - Remember that it costs magicka)
- Blessed - 75 (An increase in healing is helpful for leeching vines and lotus Blossom)
- Spell Erosion - 75 (You do a lot of AoE damage, this increases it!)
- Elemental Expert - 75 (You do a lot of AoE damage, this increases it!)
- Staff Expert - 45 (More heavy damage and it unlocks retaliation and Riposte for blocking)
- Spell Shield - 100 (More spell resistance to round up the numbers!)
- Hardy - 15 (Better defence and reach Bulwark)
- Elemental Defender - 15 (Better defence and reach Bulwark)
- Bastion - 40 (Increases shield to heavy ice staff attacks and when blocking)
- Heavy Armor Focus - 100 (Resistance good!)